One of the most common questions we are asked by our social media customers is how to get more fan engagement from their own posts. You want more Likes, more Shares, more Comments. A higher engagement level means more people will see your post in their newsfeed and a greater chance that your content will spread beyond your current community. Here are five quick tips that are guaranteed to get more responses:
- Keep it Fun – While we certainly want to educate those who have liked us on Facebook, we have to balance that goal with an understanding that one of the main reasons people are on Facebook is to simply be entertained. Posts that are light-hearted and positive are more likely to get attention from your fans.
- Use Pictures – People are most attracted to visual posts. In fact, studies have shown that photos receive 50% more newsfeed impressions and are 22% more likely to receive a Like, Comment or Share. You should use a picture with every single one of your posts on Facebook.
- Keep it Short – The longer a post is, the less likely it is to be read. Keep posts as short and to the point as possible. One of our favorite examples, soccer team Manchester United once had a post about a match score that simply said, “8-2…” The post received 173,000 Likes and 29,000 comments.
- Include a Call to Action – With few exceptions, you should always include a call to action in your posts. Get your audience to do something: click Like, follow a link, Share your post or make a Comment. And studies have shown that the more direct you are in asking for the action, the more likely you are to get it.
- Stay Engaged – Social media is about building community. If someone has taken the time to comment on one of your posts it’s always a good idea to respond. Don’t just post and forget it. Stay involved in the conversation. Your Facebook fans can become your best practice advocates.